Once a major port, shipbuilding and industrial centre, Blyth was built on the export of coal.
The history as a port can be traced back to the 12th century, when the monks of Newminster Abbey near Morpeth owned and exported salt from the pans north of the river Blyth, by 1819 both salt and coal were being exported.
In the 17th century wooden shipbuilding began and achieved considerable prosperity by the middle of the 18th century.
By 1881 iron ships had already sounded the death knell of the wooden ships and it was not until the Blyth Harbour Commissioners took over in 1882 as a port and shipyard really grew, reaching its busiest during the 1950's with vast shipments of coal.
However the station came to the end of its life and closed at the end of January 2002,
and is has now been demolished.
Blyth is now famous for its wind turbines, located at both Blyth Harbour and offshore.
The town centre has evolved with the times, but still manages to keep the weekend market.
Blyth also boasts a leisure centre and indoor pool and sustains two dramatic societies.
During the month of July, the annual Blyth Town Summer Fair takes place.
This event includes live performances by local groups and clubs performing in an arena on the Market Square, an art exhibition, local artists and craftspeople exhibiting their work, pavement artists, fairground, children’s entertainment area and musical entertainment for all the family.
The annual Christmas Fayre takes place on the Market Square and features entertainment, bands, market stalls and much more for all members of the family to enjoy and get into the festive spirit.
The harbour has approximately 75 pontoon berths and a further 20 fore and aft moorings and is one of the few ports on the North East Coast where yachts can enter safely at most times.
The harbour has approximately 75 pontoon berths and a further 20 fore and aft moorings.
Holiday accommodation in Blyth includes...
Hotel, Bed and Breakfast.